Saturday, December 19, 2009

Cheongsam

I've been meaning to write about this. Last month, my mom and I made a spontaneous visit to Alice Ko, a cheongsam designer. For those not in the know, a cheongsam is a Chinese traditional dress that is typically worn by a bride. It is usually made from a bright red brocade; however, at the time, I was debating on whether to get a dark red cherry blossom pattern or a gold plum blosson pattern (see below - not identical to what Alice had but this is all I could find on the Internet).

Gold brocade

Dark red brocade (flash of camera perhaps makes it less dark)

Everyone (parents, Jeff, Chris, Karen and Andrea) agreed that gold was best, even though it isn't traditional. But this was until today... this afternoon, our family drove up to visit my cousins Hang and Virginia who offered to lend me Hang's cheongsam which is made of bright red silk with gold sequins and beads sewn in the shape of both a dragon and a phoenix. No one would mistaken me for a bride for sure because it's very red and very traditional. It would also save me $400+... it does look great on, almost fitting me perfectly (I have to take it in a bit) which my aunt will do. I'm not sure if I can make the decision alone, so I'll have to wait until Jeff comes home to model it for him! I'll take a picture too, and will post it later to get some input!

-ange xx

No comments:

Post a Comment